A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every single day. As Europe’s fastest-growing online auction platform, our mission is to make special objects available to everyone.
In fact, 10 million users are buying and selling on Catawiki every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent.
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 as a platform where collectors could manage their collections online. Yet, times change, ideas evolve, and in 2011 we hosted our first online auction and we haven’t looked back since! We’ve now grown to 650+ Catawikians working across 7 International offices and are proud to have maintained our start-up mentality.
How we work
At Catawiki, we keep our users close to our hearts and make sure that we deliver a great user experience across all platforms. Android is no exception! As an Android developer working at Catawiki, you are empowered to take full ownership of the features we deliver and full ownership of how we structure our codebase.
We embrace change, we’ve migrated from MVC to MVP and then to MVVM. Currently, we are using Kotlin and enjoying all the cool advantages that come with it. We are constantly improving our architecture, which makes working at Catawiki fun and challenging at the same time.
What you’ll do
Here at Catawiki, you will have a huge impact, working in a data-driven way to add value to the business along with the other 7 members of the Android team. You will add your own expertise to further grow our business, experiment, and innovate the product.
You’ll be adding new features to create an even greater experience for our users. As well as actively collaborating with your fellow Android developers to take the codebase and the entire Android App to the next level. Our millions of users will thank you for that!
How we roll - Our Stack
Our codebase is primarily written in Java but we are strongly adopting Kotlin for our new features and refactorings. Our app uses MVVM as a general architecture, and we rely heavily on the reactive/functional paradigm using RxJava. We also make use of Android’s Architecture Components. We are using the most popular 3rd parties like Dagger 2, Retrofit, data binding, as well as Mockito and Espresso for testing.
What you’ll bring
- You are a passionate experienced Android Developer with a strong eye for detail.
- You strive to be a great team player and don’t shy away from new challenges.
- You are comfortable in a startup environment and are ready to jump in and help if needed.
- You keep the company's values close to your heart and enjoy being in a diverse environment.
We expect you to have experience with:
- Strong Object-oriented programming skills - priority
- Strong knowledge of the Android framework
- Proficient with Kotlin
- Knowledge of the reactive/functional paradigm
- Familiarity with MVVM architecture
- Familiarity with consuming RESTful APIs
- Unit testing
Next to this, it’s likely you’ll also have experience with RxJava, UI testing, and A/B testing
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
As we navigate through the Covid19 pandemic together, we want to reassure you that keeping candidates and our employees safe is of paramount importance to us. That’s why the entire recruitment process will take place remotely, using phone and video calls. For successful applicants who end up being hired, we always ensure a safe, engaging, and (for the time being) remote onboarding experience. When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office once per week and from home for the rest. Outside of The Netherlands, we are able to employ people to work remotely in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and Belgium.
Here’s what we can offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 650+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally, you can expect:
- An attractive Stock Option package
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- Catawiki provides you with a membership to the O’Reilly learning platform.
- As part of Catawiki’s goal to create a healthy and happy culture, we’ve partnered with Headspace, a global leader in mindfulness and meditation! We provide our employees with a free one-year subscription for Headspace.
- Work from home office set-up to make sure you have all you need in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- A bike scheme for employees that helps realise a tax advantage which makes a bike up to 35% cheaper than buying!
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You’ll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- For people living outside of NL we offer a great relocation package for you and your family
- The fun part! Our Activity Committee plans everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
- And there’s more! Paid holidays, Holiday Allowance, a discount on health insurance and a fantastic pension plan paid for by Catawiki.