Catawiki’s purpose is to enable people to discover and obtain special objects that help them fulfill their passions. In doing so, we add some color & make the world a more interesting place.
Our Backend Engineering Story
Our development team is responsible for stability, reliability, and versatility of Catawiki’s platform. We are building new and exciting product features to craft an engaging platform, where our users can offer and discover special objects. At the same time, we are moving the platform towards a microservices architecture by gradually dismantling a Ruby on Rails monolith.
So what's the job
Catawiki’s promise to users is that we’ll help them find the objects they love, and then we’ll take care of the rest. That means that are auctions are 100% curated by experts, we speak the same language as our users, we make shipping smooth and easy, and their payment is always safe with us!
As a key player in our Logistics team, you’ll be building and optimising the customer journey of sending and receiving the special objects. Our team’s goal is to provide a seamless and delightful fulfilment process. We want to give sellers the tools to ship in an efficient manner and for our buyers that they always know where their item is. You’ll take our integrations to achieve this to the next level.
How we roll - Our Stack
As the biggest marketplace for special items, Catawiki operates in a market, which brings a lot of unusual challenges and opportunities. You will be developing, testing and scaling our microservices, written in Ruby and some of them in Go, to handle the high volume served by the platform every single day. We do this by using Infrastructure as Code principles, collaborative peer-reviews, delivering code to production multiple times a day, A/B testing every assumption, making mistakes, learning from them, and iterating quickly.
You'll move in sync with
The Logistics team will be involved in projects that will have a big impact on the company and you’ll work closely with our other core teams such as Payments, Fulfilment, FInance, Tax & Legal.
A little about you
The Logistics team is looking for people that like to make a big impact, and love the challenge of working on one of the most highly used and high traffic parts of our platform. We love people who want to make a contribution to further building out our engineering culture and who want to have some fun along the way.
Next to this:
- You have experience in designing, developing and deploying backend services with a focus on high availability, low latency, and scalability.
- Experience with shipping, supply chain or logistics is a bonus, but not required. More important for us is great problem solving skills, and a passion for improving customer experience.
- You have proven experience of collaborating closely with other engineers to become a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional team.
- You understand the value that you can add to the business, the product and the impact of your work on users.
- We primarily use Ruby and Go on the Back-End, but language isn’t as important to us as someone with a great understanding of Engineering best practices.
The Catawiki Story
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every single day. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, our mission is to make special objects available to everyone.
In fact, 14 million users are buying and selling on Catawiki every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent.
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 as a platform where collectors could manage their collections online. Yet, times change, ideas evolve, and in 2011 we hosted our first online auction and we haven’t looked back since! We’ve now grown to 500 Catawikians working across 7 International offices and are proud to have maintained our start-up mentality.
Here’s what we can offer you
- A diverse and international team with over 40 different nationalities, located in the heart of Amsterdam and Assen with an easy-going atmosphere.
- The Catawiki Community gathers everyone together for everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
- And there’s more! We also provide paid holidays, holiday allowance and a pension plan paid for by Catawiki.