Catawiki’s purpose is to enable people to discover and obtain special objects that help them fulfill their passions. In doing so, we add some color & make the world a more interesting place.
Our Backend Engineering Story
Our development team is responsible for stability, reliability, and agility of Catawiki’s platform. We are building new and exciting product features to craft an engaging platform, where our users can offer and discover special objects. At the same time, we are moving the platform towards a microservices architecture by gradually dismantling a Ruby on Rails monolith.
So what's the job
Catawiki’s promise to users is that we’ll help them find the objects they love, and then we’ll take care of the rest. That means that our auctions are 100% curated by experts, we speak the same language as our users, we make shipping smooth and easy, and most importantly, the payment is always safe with us!
As the Team Lead of our Payments team, you’ll report to the Engineering Manager of the Fulfilment vertical. Your role will not include people management responsibilities, but you will be shaping how the team is optimising our platform and developing new features that allow us to improve how we accept money from buyers and deliver money to our sellers. Payments are the backbone of our marketplace so your work will have a huge impact in delivering our promise of being a robust, reliable, secure and delightful platform. The 3 most important aspects of your job will be:
- Ensuring a healthy team environment where members feel safe, trusted, respected, happy
- Supporting diversity of thoughts, ensure everyone’s voice is heard inside the team and people feel they have a stake in team-level decisions
- Empowering team members to take ownership / drive some of the team’s ceremonies (e.g. standups, demo sessions, retros, backlog groomings, sprint plannings)
- Owning short-term (~1 month ahead) roadmap of the team in partnership with a Product Manager, driving clarity, proactively communicating the updates to the team and making sure they are aligned on goals
- Proactively flag issues / impediments that could affect delivery of the team’s work to the team’s stakeholders and propose mitigation ideas
- Oversee the delivery of the team’s work
- Facilitating adoption of engineering best practices in the team and keeping the bar at the right level
- Keeping the team accountable for building solutions aligned with the company-wide technical directions
- Facilitating & ensuring that production incidents are analysed and right actions are followed up by the team
How we roll - Our Stack
As the biggest marketplace for special items, Catawiki operates in a market, which brings a lot of unusual challenges and opportunities. You will be developing, testing and scaling our microservices, written in Ruby and some of them in Go, to handle the high volume served by the platform every single day. We do this by using Infrastructure as Code principles, collaborative peer-reviews, delivering code to production multiple times a day, A/B testing various assumptions, making mistakes, learning from them, and iterating quickly.
A little about you
The Payments team is looking for people that like to make a big impact. We love people who want to make a contribution to further building out our engineering culture and who want to have some fun along the way. Next to this you:
- Have proven experience as a team leader
- Have experience in projects or products related to Payments, Finance, or FinTech.
- Are versed in tackling complex projects, breaking it down into estimable chunks, identifying the right technical order for a project, dependencies, risks, proposing mitigations.
- Have experience in designing, developing and deploying backend services with a focus on high availability, low latency, and scalability.
- Understand that the value you can add to the business, the product is done via the rest of the team, not necessarily only by you
- Have a solid understanding of software engineering best practices.
The Catawiki Story
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every single day. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, our mission is to make special objects available to everyone.
In fact, 14 million users are buying and selling on Catawiki every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent.
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 as a platform where collectors could manage their collections online. Yet, times change, ideas evolve, and in 2011 we hosted our first online auction and we haven’t looked back since! We’ve now grown to 500 Catawikians working across 7 International offices and are proud to have maintained our start-up mentality.
Here’s what we can offer you
A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities, located in the heart of Amsterdam and Assen with an easy-going atmosphere.The Catawiki Community gathers everyone together for everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
And there’s more! We also provide paid holidays, holiday allowance and a pension plan paid for by Catawiki.
Amsterdam or Assen