A lovely volume for collectors of Austen Henry Layard, 19th Century Travel Books, and for those interested in Nineveh, Mesopotamia, Iraq, Babylonia, Babylonians, Medes, Chaldeans, Persians, Scythians, Cimmerians The Middle East, Travel and Exploration.
Nineveh And Its Remains
With An Account Of A Visit To The Chaldaean
Christians Of Kurdistan, And The Yezidis,
Or Devil-Worshippers; And An Enquiry
Into The Manners And Arts Of
The Ancient Assyrians.
By Austen Henry Layard, ESQ. D.C.L.
“Layard turned his back on steady employment in his uncle's solicitor's office and set off overland to join another uncle in Ceylon. Side-tracked by adventure he set aside his original itinerary and lived for some time in the Bakhtiari Mountains with a tribe resisting the Shah's rule. Whilst returning to Baghdad via Mosul he became convinced that he had discovered the location of Nineveh, persuading Sir Stafford Canning to support his excavations at Nimrud. It was only after his return to England, exhausted and with malaria, and the publication of this, his first, book that he realised that Kuyunjik was in fact the correct location, returning there, funded by the British Museum, in 1849”.
Fine binding and special volume of this authoritative study on the Assyrian cities of Nineveh. This copy is dedicated to Benjamin Austin, ESQ. Illustrated with tinted lithograph frontispiece, numerous woodcut illustrations in the text, full page plates, double folding plate, three folding plans, and one large fold out map at the end of the volume.
Published by John Murray, London, 1849. Bound in full brown leather boards. The spine has 5 raised bands, with gilt embossed decorations to the bands, the title in gilt to compartments two.
Book Dimensions: 22.5 x 14.5 x 4 cm & Number of Pages: 399 including 2 appendix.
- Tissue-guarded tinted lithograph frontispiece ‘Lowering The Great Winged Bull’
- Fold out Plan 2. South-west Ruins, Nimroud
- Fold out Plan 3. North-west Palace, Nimroud
- Fold out Plan 1. General plan of the Excavations in the Mound of Nimroud
- Double fold out plate ‘Eunuch Warrior in Battle’
- Large fold out Map to illustrate Journey in Mesopotamia, Kurdistan, and Sinjar
A well-preserved volume. Solid, firm, and well-bound book. Wear at extremities with minor scuffs to the binding. Internally; the book in good condition. Owners’ name with neat ink on front free endpapers. Foxing spots, and light marks, on some pages. Pages are tightly held at the gutter. Inner hinges are very good. All plates are present and bright (Please see pictures).
- Aantal boeken
- Geïllustreerd, Geschiedenis, Oude geschiedenis, ontdekkingen, verkenning, archeologie, Nineve, Mesopotamië, Babylon, Assyrië, Reizen
- Auteur/ Illustrator
- Austen Henry Layard, ESQ. D.C.L.
- Nineveh And Its Remains. With An Account Of A Visit To Kurdistan And The Yezidis, Or Devil-Worshippe
- Publicatiejaar oudste item
- Eerste druk
- Oorspronkelijke taal
- John Murray
- Harde kaft
- Aantal pagina‘s.
- 22,5×14,5 cm